Play NC is a 501(c)3 non-profit based in Durham, North Carolina. Play NC was founded in 2018 with a “Play for Charity” concept, hosting games and sports to benefit local 19+ local charity partners, including the Durham Softball League and Durham Cornhole. is a “Play Anytime” Charity Golf Tournament. Since 2018, we have raised more than $15,000 for our charity partners and donated more than $20,000 worth of items to local causes, just by playing more than 1000 games.
This “Play Anytime” format was developed by the Play NC founder, Ryan Mentock, with the intention of making competitions and fundraising opportunities easier to access, especially within the restrictions of COVID on large gatherings. We still wanted to host a large tournament, but couldn’t have everyone at the course at once, so we have extended the available times you can enter by an entire month to accommodate all players. While we don’t quite have the excitement of a same-day leaderboard or result, we hope the simplicity of the registration process, ease of scheduling, and the final anticipation of the results to be posted at the end of the month is just as enjoyable of an experience.
In addition to the general competition, at least 50% of your contribution will directly benefit two charities each month:
- SwingPals builds a foundation of health and strong character in children facing adversity. Every month, 50% of the proceeds will be donated to this outstanding organization.
- Current Month’s Featured Play NC Charity. Each month will benefit 1 or 2 of the 19+ Play NC partners, so you can help out a new charity every month!
Play NC currently partners with more than 19 different local charities, including the following:
- Animal Protection Society of Durham, feeds, shelters and provides medical attention to abused and neglected animals.
- CPCANC, assists low-income families and individuals, including the working poor.
- Crayons2Calculators, provides Durham teachers with the supplies they need for classroom success.
- Don’t Waste Durham, creates solutions that prevent trash at its source.
- Families Moving Forward, provides families with children a stable, safe and loving environment.
- Girls on the Run of the Triangle, positively impacts young girls’ lives.
- Hope Animal Rescue, committed to improving the lives of abandoned animals in North Carolina.
- Housing for New Hope, mission to prevent and end homelessness.
- Josh’s Hope, serves ages 18-35 who live with mental health conditions and/or struggle with a substance disorder.
- Kidznotes, pre-K through 12th grade out-of-school musical program.
- Meals on Wheels of Durham, enhances the quality of life for seniors and people with disabilities.
- Miracle League of the Triangle, positive experiences for children and adults with special needs.
- North Carolina Coalition Against Domestic Violence, leads the state’s movement to end domestic violence.
- North Carolina Fallen Firefighter Foundation, leads the effort to remember North Carolina’s fallen firefighters and their families.
- PORCH-Durham, support food-insecure children and families of Durham through BackPack Buddies, school pantries and community pantries.
- South Durham Little League, provides baseball for children between the ages of 4 and 14.
- TreesDurham, creates a socially just, healthy and sustainable tree canopy in Durham.
- Vets to Vets United, significantly improve a veteran’s life by providing companionship.